Who's lost government protection under Trump? Kamala Harris is just the latest
Published in News & Features
President Donald Trump revoked Secret Service protection for former Vice President Kamala Harris — but she’s far from the first person he’s stripped of government security.
CNN reported Friday that Trump had terminated Secret Service protection for Harris — his opponent in the 2024 election — with the change effective starting Sept. 1.
Under federal law, former vice presidents receive a Secret Service detail for six months after leaving office, a period that ended in July for Harris.
But, former President Joe Biden reportedly signed an order granting her an additional year of protection, according to the outlet, citing unnamed sources.
In response, an adviser to Harris told the New York Times, “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety.”
The loss of government security comes ahead of Harris’ book tour for her new memoir titled “107 Days.” Who else lost protection under Trump?
So far during Trump’s second term, nearly a dozen people — including outspoken critics and political enemies — lost their government-provided security details.
On Jan. 21, the day after his inauguration, Trump revoked Secret Service protection for John Bolton, his former national security advisor, who had been granted 24/7 security due to threats from Iran, Bolton wrote on X.
Bolton was fired during Trump’s first term after he published a memoir that was highly critical of the president. It claimed, among other things, that Trump had asked Chinese President Xi Jinping to help him get re-elected.
When asked about Bolton at a press conference, Trump told reporters, “We’re not going to have people with security for the rest of their lives," according to Newsweek.
Then, in March, the president announced he would terminate Secret Service protection for Biden’s adult children, Ashley and Hunter Biden, according to ABC News.
Federal law requires Secret Service protection for the children of ex-presidents until they turn 16, but outgoing presidents are able to extend this — as Trump did for his four adult children before leaving office in 2021.
“Hunter Biden has had Secret Service protection for an extended period of time, all paid for by the United States Taxpayer,” Trump wrote on Truth Social on March 17. “There are as many as 18 people on this Detail, which is ridiculous!”
In addition to those who lost Secret Service details, several others were stripped of other forms of government protection.
In January, Trump removed government security from former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and his aide, Brian Hook — both of whom also faced threats from Iran, according to the Associated Press.
When asked about his decision, Trump told reporters “Do you want to have a large detail of people guarding people for the rest of their lives? I mean, there’s risks to everything.”
Around the same time, his administration revoked security for Mark Milley, a former chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, who was quoted as calling Trump “fascist to the core” and “the most dangerous person to this country.”
Additionally, Trump also ended the government security detail for Anthony Fauci, his former health adviser during the COVID-19 pandemic, who also voiced criticism of the president.
Taylor Stoermer, a presidential historian and lecturer at Johns Hopkins University, said this pattern of revoking security details is unprecedented in U.S. history.
“(S)tripping protection from a former Vice President in a polarized political environment is a dangerously destabilizing act,” Stoermer told McClatchy News. “The Secret Service isn’t — or at least wasn’t supposed to be — his personal security firm to be dismissed from his enemies list on a whim.”
He added, “Nixon had his enemies list, but even he didn’t try to strip their security details.”
_____
©2025 Miami Herald. Visit at miamiherald.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Comments