Pawtucket, RI, mass shooting: 2 victims killed, shooter dead after 'family dispute' leads to tragedy at ice rink
Published in News & Features
A suspect shot five people at a Rhode Island ice rink Monday afternoon, as a “family dispute” turned deadly during a high school hockey game.
Two victims were killed and the suspect was dead following the apparent targeted family shooting at Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, according to police.
Three other people were shot and were hospitalized in critical condition, Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves said during a press conference.
The police chief confirmed that the shooting stemmed from a “family dispute.”
It appears that the shooter died from a self-inflicted gunshot, Goncalves said. Both victims who died appear to be adults, the police chief added, but she declined to identify the victims and shooter.
A high school “senior day” hockey game was taking place at the rink Monday afternoon. Shaken players and parents were seen outside the arena after the shooting.
Pawtucket Mayor Donald Grebien called the incident “traumatic.”
“It is very tragic,” he said at the press conference. “You think about it: These are high school kids. They were doing an event. They were playing, you know, with their families watching a fun time, and it turned into this, so it’s got to be traumatic.”
On a livestream video of the hockey game, viewers can hear many loud bangs as players duck for cover. Then the players are seen quickly getting off the ice and benches, and heading out amid the shooting chaos.
The Coventry School District confirmed that all students from the boys hockey team who were at the arena had been accounted for and were safe.
“All Coventry students have been safely reunited with their loved ones,” Superintendent Don Cowart wrote. “Mental health resources will be made available to the Hockey students and families. We encourage anyone who may need support to access these services. Thank you for your cooperation and patience today.”
FBI Boston agents responded to the scene.
“We stand ready to assist our partners at the Pawtucket Police Department and @RIStatePolicewith any and all resources they need,” FBI Boston posted. “At this time, there is no imminent threat to public safety and there has been no request for FBI assistance. However, the public should continue to avoid the area. Our prayers are with everyone impacted by this incident.”
ATF Boston agents also responded to the scene to help state and local authorities.
Providence Police said they were “monitoring the situation in Pawtucket. We currently have officers on scene providing assistance.”
Gov. Dan McKee said he’s “praying for Pawtucket and everyone involved.”
“We are actively monitoring the shooting at Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket,” he posted. “I just spoke with Mayor Grebien as well as @RIStatePolice who are working with local law enforcement.”
Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey said her “heart is with Pawtucket and the children and families impacted by today’s tragic shooting in Rhode Island. Grateful for the quick action of first responders, and keeping the victims and their loved ones in my prayers.”
Massachusetts Congresswoman Katherine Clark said she was “devastated to learn of the shooting in Pawtucket.”
“What should have been a unifying community event has now become another senseless tragedy,” Clark posted. “Congress needs to pass commonsense legislation to end this cycle of gun violence once and for all.”
Massachusetts Congressman Seth Moulton wrote, “Our hearts are with the victims, their families, and the entire Pawtucket community following today’s tragic shooting. We must stand together, support those impacted, and keep working toward safer communities for everyone.”
The Providence Bruins said the team’s “thoughts are with all those affected by the tragic events at the High School Hockey game… We share our support with the community, and commend the first responders for all their efforts.”
This mass shooting comes a couple of months after the deadly mass shooting at Brown University in nearby Providence.
In mid-December, Claudio Manuel Neves-Valente shot and killed students at Brown University before gunning down an MIT professor in Brookline.
Neves-Valente shot and killed students Ella Cook and MukhammadAziz Umurzokov, along with injuring several other students. Two days later, he gunned down MIT professor Nuno Loureiro at his Brookline home. They were reportedly classmates decades ago in Portugal.
After the killing spree, Neves-Valente went to a New Hampshire storage facility, where he took his own life.
_____
©2026 MediaNews Group, Inc. Visit at bostonherald.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments