DHS reverses suspension of PreCheck as it takes shutdown steps
Published in News & Features
The Transportation Security Administration said it will continue to operate the PreCheck program after the Department of Homeland Security earlier said it will temporarily pause several programs that speed up some travelers’ progress through airports.
DHS originally said that it would suspend the operations of PreCheck lanes starting Sunday at 6 a.m., but a spokesperson for the Transportation Security Administration said later Sunday the program will remain operational with no changes.
TSA will, however, pause airport police escorts for members of Congress and other expedited services, the spokesperson added, while DHS will suspend all non-disaster-related responses.
Additionally, travelers enrolled in the Global Entry program will no longer use dedicated lanes when entering the U.S., DHS said in a statement.
The agency said U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who are Global Entry members should proceed to the clearly marked primary processing lanes, while all others should use the visitor lanes.
Officers previously assigned to process Global Entry passengers will be reassigned to assist with all arriving travelers, the agency said.
Funding for DHS lapsed a week ago, sending the department into a shutdown, after U.S. lawmakers deadlocked on a spending bill ahead of a Feb. 13 deadline. Democrats have demanded new limits on immigration enforcement, which have been rejected by the White House and Republican leaders in Congress.
“We are making tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions to mitigate the damage inflicted by these politicians,” Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement.
So far, the visible effects of the shutdown have been limited, since more than 90% of DHS employees are deemed essential and continue to work, though without pay. Disruptions are expected to grow over time, but the latest DHS moves appear aimed at increasing pressure on Congress to fund the department.
“This is Trump and Kristi Noem purposely punishing the American people and using them as pawns for their sadistic political games,” Democrat Bennie Thompson, the top Democrat on the Homeland Security Committee, said in a statement. “TSA PreCheck and Global Entry reduce airport lines and ease the burden on DHS staff who are working without pay because of Trump’s abuse of the Department and killing of American citizens.”
Snow preparation
As a powerful blizzard bears down on the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it will suspend all non-disaster related activities and shift to emergency operating status without congressional funding.
The agency said it’s pausing non-emergency recovery work, including long-term rebuilding efforts, project development and planning that don’t address an imminent threat. New initiatives and discretionary programs are suspended, and travel and deployments are restricted to personnel responding to active disasters and life safety emergencies.
“This is particularly important given this weekend another significant winter storm is forecast to impact the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast United States,” Noem said.
The nor’easter is expected to bring strong wind gusts, whiteout conditions and up to 18 inches of snow to New York City, with heavier totals possible farther east. About 30 million people are under blizzard warnings, and more than 1,000 flights have already been grounded.
Democrats and Republicans remain far apart on funding for DHS, a White House official said last week. The impasse was touched off by a backlash against the Trump administration’s widespread and aggressive immigration enforcement raids.
With Congress on recess and no agreement in sight, the funding lapse could last for weeks.
_____
©2026 Bloomberg L.P. Visit bloomberg.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments